The Prenatal-to-3 Policy Impact Center is a part of the Child and Family Research Partnership (CFRP) at The University of Texas at Austin LBJ School of Public Affairs. Our work is focused on evidence-driven state-level policymaking focused on the foundational prenatal to age 3 developmental period. We work in partnership with our CFRP colleagues who conduct qualitative and quantitative research on a wide range of policy issues impacting children and families.
To get notifications of our career opportunities, please sign-up for our Careers Email List. See below for current openings at the Policy Impact Center.
To promote the Prenatal-to-3 Policy Impact Center’s brand and position in the field, through the identification, implementation, and continuous improvement of best practices in media and public relations.
- Establish and develop relationships with key editors and journalists (national and state-level broadcast, print, and digital outlets); pitch stories to targeted media contact list; serve as media contact for press releases, events, and special projects; provide ongoing and pertinent information from the Policy Impact Center to the community and media;
- Monitor relevant current state and national news on a daily basis to identify creative opportunities and ideal, consistent news cycle timing;
- Write professional news releases, articles and other documents for the Prenatal-to-3 Policy Impact Center; use best practices to prepare and release certain information to the media, as directed by the Director of Communications;
- Create and facilitate public relations opportunities and events to increase the reach of the Policy Impact Center’s work and team, including collaborations and op-eds with the National Advisory Council and other partners;
- Assist with writing and editing of Center content as needed;
- Facilitate media interviews between Policy Impact Center staff and reporters;
- Maintain media contact lists in Hubspot CMS;
- Distribute new releases to media utilizing industry software; coordinate with internal teams to publish releases on the Policy Impact Center’s website and social media as needed;
- Participate in meetings as directed with the media, business community, professional development organizations and various agencies;
- Assist communications team in implementation of communications strategies and goals for marketing campaigns;
- Track relevant analytics to improve communication effectiveness and efficiency;
- Participate in relevant LBJ School and University Communications media relations meetings;
- Maintain media contact lists in HubSpot CMS and Cision
- Other duties as assigned.
- Basic understanding of research and public policy
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to synthesize complex concepts clearly and concisely as well as communicate sensitive topics effectively
- Ability to discern and justify the appropriate messages for different lengths and formats
- Experience with business-to-business level writing
- Excellent proofreading and copy editing abilities with strong attention to detail
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment
- Ability to come up to speed on new topics quickly, multi-task effectively, and produce high-quality work under time constraints
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing timelines and circumstances when needed
- Master’s degree and two years of related experience, or Bachelor’s degree and four years of related experience, in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Policy or a related field.
- Demonstrated graphic design skills with proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop (or equivalent), and InDesign
- Working knowledge of Hubspot CRM and Hubspot Marketing
Complete application materials must be submitted through The University of Texas at Austin portal here. Competitive candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis.